About Earl Grey Lavender Cookies
These cookies are infused with a refined lavender flavor (not too strong!) by making an easy lavender simple syrup. And the earl grey tea leaves are simply mixed into the dough along with the other dry ingredients!
The sugar cookies themselves can be made using a hand mixer or stand mixer, and the dough requires no chilling time.
Make sure you are using lavender flowers that are safe for consumption. FGO’s lavender flowers are certified organic, 100% raw, and imported from organic farms in France, so they are ideal for adding to baked goods like these cookies.
These sugar cookies are awesome when rolled in a bit of sugar before baking, but this step is completely optional.
You will have some leftover lavender simple syrup from this recipe. Make delicious lavender lattes, add it to your tea, or use it to flavor other baked goods! You can store the syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Use a cookie scoop to easily portion out the dough. We used a large one, but you may use a smaller one (about 3 tbsp) for the recipe to yield more cookies.
¾ cup water
¾ cup sugar
3 tbsp FGO dried lavender
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
3 tea bags of Earl Grey
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for rolling
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 tbsp lavender syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar, and lavender. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring until all sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover; allow mixture to steep for 10 minutes. Using a mesh strainer to separate lavender buds from liquid, strain the mixture into an airtight container. Set aside.
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF; line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and earl grey; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. Add vanilla, egg, and lavender syrup; beat once more to combine. Add half of the flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined. Add the other half of the flour mixture and beat until combined.
5. Portion out the dough using a large cookie scoop. Roll tops of cookie dough balls in sugar, then arrange on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges look firm and lightly golden brown. Allow cookies to cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
7. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Store leftover lavender syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.