About watermelon cupcakes:
Superfoods can have fun too! The matcha cupcake is made with our sweet matcha latte powder, while our cacao nibs add the finishing touch.
The watermelon flavored buttercream is simply made by adding watermelon flavored powdered drink mix to the buttercream. You will love how the flavor of the matcha cake pairs with the sweet watermelon frosting!
Tools for Making Matcha Watermelon Cupcakes
Here’s everything you’ll need in order to make this recipe:• Mixing bowls
• Electric mixer
• Muffin tin
• Cupcake liners
• Piping bag
• Piping tip
• Food coloring
• Add a bit of green food coloring to the matcha cake batter if you desire a
• For less mess and more precision, use a large cookie scoop/ice cream scoop to
fill the cupcake liners.
• Adjust the consistency of your buttercream to your preference by adding more
milk to thin it out or more powdered sugar to make it thicker.
• You can use either regular or sugar free watermelon powdered drink mix.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon baking powder
• 2 tablespoons FGO Sweet Matcha Latte Powder
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup milk, room temperature
• Green food coloring, optional
• 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
• 4 cups powdered sugar
• ¼ cup heavy cream or milk, room temperature
• ½ tsp watermelon flavored powdered drink mix, such as Kool Aid
• 2-4 drops red gel food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and matcha. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing on medium speed, until combined.
4. Add half the flour mixture; mix until just combined. Add milk; mix. Add the remaining flour mixture; mix until just combined. Add food coloring at this point, if using.
5. Fill each liner ¾ of the way full. Bake the cupcakes for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely before decorating.
1. In an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, watermelon drink mix, and heavy cream. Beat on low speed, then increase to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Add red food coloring until you reach desired shade of red.
2. Once cupcakes have cooled, pipe the buttercream. Finish each cupcake with a sprinkle of cacao nibs. Enjoy!